Start Date: April 7, 2021
Registration Deadline: April 2, 2021
Location: Live online via Zoom, sessions are not recorded.
Times: 6:30pm to 8:30pm Central
Read all of the information on this page before contacting our office.
What is a Certified Professional Coder (CPC)?A Certified Professional Coder (CPC) is a professional who reviews medical record documentation to abstract diagnoses and procedures documented by the healthcare provider, who then uses coding manuals (CPT, ICD-10-CM and HCPCS) to translate this information into code numbers.
What characteristics do professional coders possess? While the role of the Professional Coder does vary by organization, an individual that makes a good coder is one that is: Detail Oriented, Critical Thinker, Excellent Communication Skills, Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and loves to Read and conduct extensive Research.
Accreditation: Physician Practice Resources is an approved education provider through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). Visit the AAPC’s website: https://www.aapc.com/training/medical-coding-training.aspx
Employment/Salary: According to the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), the yearly average salary is based on the credentials you hold: one credential is $51,477; two credentials is $57,656; and three or more credentials is $66,659. To see what the annual medical coding salary is for you, click here to calculate your average medical coding salary you’d make, based on your credential, demographic, and job responsibility.
Note: We cannot guarantee that you can work from home upon completion of the program.
Job Placement: We do not offer Job placement services, nor can we guarantee employment, but we will provide a professionally designed resume.
Program Cost: $2300 per student ($500 deposit is due at the time of registration), we do not participate in the federal financial aid program.
Computer Requirements: Personal Computer (not a tablet, or iPad), High-speed Internet connection and Webcam (optional)
Prerequisites: None, no prior training/knowledge is required.
Course Description: The student will learn principles of medical coding related to the three main code books: CPT®, ICD-10-CM Code Set and HCPCS Level II. This course is recommended for anyone who is preparing for a career in medical coding for a physician’s office and strongly recommended for anyone who is preparing for AAPC’s CPC certification examination.
- Identify the purpose of the CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II code books
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines
- Apply coding conventions when assigning diagnoses and procedure codes
- Identify the information in appendices of the CPT® code book
- Explain the determination of the levels of E/M services
- Code a wide variety of patient services using CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II codes
- List the major features of HCPCS Level II codes
- Provide practical application of coding operative reports and evaluation and management services
Program Overview (Completed in 30 Weeks):
- Phase One (Medical Coding Curriculum)-20 Weeks
- 2 hours per week of live (not recorded) sessions with a Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- 15 hours per week of study time (reading and homework)
- Phase Two ( CPC Exam Review)-5 Weeks
- CPC Exam Prep
- CPC Practice Exams
- Phase Three (CPC Exam)
- 5 Hours and 40 Minutes, scheduled by our office at a local chapter near you. Click here to locate a local chapter near you.
- Phase Four (Coding Internship)-5 Weeks
- Practicode is a web-based training program allowing new medical coders to gain the confidence of coding 660 cases in a variety of specialties.
- Completion of a professional coding course, or 1 year of ProFee coding experience recommended as a prerequisite.
- To learn more about Praticode, click here
- Completed at your own pace, but we recommend 5 Weeks.
- Phase Five (Career Planning)
- Professional resume created by our partner, Project Resume, click here to learn more.
- Preparing for your first coding job workshop.
Note: We do not assist with job placement, nor we we guarantee that you will obtain employment upon completion of our program.
Methods of Evaluation:
The instructional methods used include reading assignments, practice exercises and other assignments, audio/video lectures, chapter review exams, and a final exam. To receive a certificate of completion, students must successfully complete the course within the allotted time frame of 30 weeks. Successful course completion includes:
- A passing score of 70% or higher on all chapter exams, multiple attempts allowed
- An overall final course score of 70% or higher
No reduced hours in the course or tuition discount for previous education or training will be granted.
- 2021 Medical Coding Training: CPC®; AAPC; AAPC publisher;
- 2021 Medical Coding Training: Practical Application CPC®; AAPC; AAPC publisher
Coding Manuals (not included):
- 2021 American Medical Association CPT® Professional Edition
- ISBN: 978-1-64016-049-1
- 2021 American Medical Association ICD-10-CM code book
- ISBN: 978-1-64016-081-1
- 2021 American Medical Association HCPCS Level II code book
- ISBN: 978-1-64016-090-3
AMA Coding manuals can be purchased via our bookstore, by clicking here:
- AAPC Membership
- AAPC Practice CPC Exam
- AAPC CPC Exam
- AAPC Practicode
- Professional Resume
Payment plans available: (Balance due week 10)
If you have questions, please email our office at email@example.com
We look forward to working with you!